Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 3, 2014

30 Day Journal Challenge, Day 2: I, Shirley Smith Franklin, do take this challenge.

Day 2, August 2, 2014

Recognizing the value of making a commitment (it increases productivity and promotes persistence), Lisa today challenges journalers to make and/or respond to the idea of, an intentional commitment to the month-long-journal project.  (Ooh, that was a mouthful...)

How do I feel about making a commitment to this 30-Day Journalling Challenge?  I must admit that there
is some trepidation.  What's in it for me?  Will I spend to much time on it every day?  Who is Lisa, anyway?
Is this just a ploy to attract more subscriber/readers for her blog?  Will the practice actually help me become a better, more poersistent, regular, and productive author?  What if I just give it a shot, and if I don't get around to it, or like it, I can quit?

Ah, there you go...quit before you don't succeed.  How's that for avoidance??

No, I will continue to honor a new year's resolution I made two and a half years ago: to follow through and carry out stated intentions.  This is my intention, and this is my commitment.  I will write every day.  Whenever possible (!!There you go again)...I will answer one prompt every day, early in the day, to the best of my then ability.

That said, Lisa quotes,  

“Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his way.”
W. H. Murray said that. (In his book, The Scottish Himalayan Expedition)
I believe, and have experienced that to be true, a version of  " give and it, and it shall be given unto you, full measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over shall be poured into your lap." (That's from the Bible...I promise to look it up and duly record the reference.  OK, here it is:  Luke 6:38)

Yesterday I asked why do I delay.  Lisa challenges me/us to name the obstacles.  I do...and the list disappears into cyberspace.  Let me try again, in a rapid replay:  other people and priorities, not journaling first thing in the morning, household tasks, compulsive reading rather than writing, forgetting or fear of forgetting a 'gem' I want to record, wondering whether journaling is going to be worth it anyway (I have decades of journals on a shelf, more unfiled...will I or anyone else ever get around to reading them?), eating, correspondence on paper or email or messaging with friends and family, the phone (eschew it, yet am unable to stem the flow of an overpowering, frequent, caller), in a word, distractability.  Need to nap, tired eyes...Or is it just lack of commitment.  Very puzzling that I can often be so laggardly at doing the very thing I want to do, even though in the Bible, too, St. Paul puzzles the same way...


Lisa, I appreciate your efforts, and those of other friends, to keep trying.  And so, Lordwilling, I will.  I should be glad for the luxury, really, of having such distractions.  May I offer up this month of dedicated jounaling as an offering of thanks!  



No comments:

Post a Comment